11/8/08 Sydney to Papeete, Tahiti

Back to the Future! No, wait a second, that’s not right. Forward to the Past! That’s more like it. It’s déjà vu all over again. Groundhog day squared! Whatever….

It’s November 8th in Sydney. I’m going to be traveling all day today and, when I finally check into my hotel in Papeete, it will be yesterday November 7th. But we’ll get there in a few minutes.

I left an early wake-up call so that I’d be in the lobby on time for my airport transfer. As usual, I didn’t need it. I was awake before the call came, bushy-tailed but not very bright-eyed. There’s only one direct flight each week between Sydney and Papeete and I wasn’t taking any chances. I was actually booked on a one-way flight from Sydney to Los Angeles on Air Tahiti Nui, which allows up to a thirty day stop-over in Tahiti, at lower cost than two individual segments. I was in the lobby even before the restaurant opened but they already had coffee, so I flagged down the hostess. She told me to pick a table and brought me a cup. I asked about the possibility of getting a danish or a croissant or something similar. In just a few minutes, she came back with a plate full of assorted breakfast pastries and jams. I don’t typically eat breakfast but I had a long day ahead. After I finished, I asked for the check. She smiled and said not to worry about it! I wish I had ordered french toast and bacon!

Eventually the HAL rep arrived, gave me my taxi voucher and sent me to the concierge, who hailed a taxi. The driver seemed to have no problem with the voucher thing, so we loaded the bags and took off for the airport. It took about thirty minutes or so to get there. I filled in the amount, signed the voucher and handed it to the driver. It’s all good, I guess. I got my bags and walked into the terminal. This place was huge! There was row upon row of ticket counters, all with ridiculous lines of people trying to check in for their flights. The most rows belonged to Qantas, as you would expect at the Sydney airport. I found Air Tahiti Nui and got into the line reserved for the cheap seats, which snaked back and forth for a long way. Of course, the business class and first class lines were virtually empty. Didn’t matter to them, they didn’t help the coach folks. They were pretty efficient, though. The line moved pretty well and, before too long, I was checked in and given a boarding pass.

I had over two hours before flight time so I looked around the terminal for awhile. I had about thirty Australian dollars left so I looked for something to buy. Most of the souvenirs were pretty much junk so I ended up with a twenty dollar mouse pad. Then I bought two candy bars with the rest of the money. Chocolate is always a good thing to have on hand, in my opinion. Eventually, I went through security and made my way to the boarding area. I was committed now! It was pretty boring except for one thing: I couldn’t understand a thing that was being announced over the P.A. system. Aussies speak English, of course. But they speak it differently than you and I speak it. They speak quickly and with a funny kind of accent. And in a big open area, over a P.A. system, with a hundred people talking around you, it’s really hard to hear. I tried for a little while, then just gave up. I figured that, as long as the plane was still there, I was okay. As soon as people started getting up and walking toward the gate, I went with them. It all worked out just fine!

There was nothing special about the flight, other than its length. I’ve been on longer flights than this but not for a very long time. At least I didn’t have the seventeen hour flight back to Los Angeles. Eight hours was more than enough for now. I must say that Air Tahiti Nui is a very good airline by today’s standards. Each passenger is given a tropical flower upon boarding, a nice touch. The planes are clean and colorfully decorated, the flight attendants are efficient, professional and, well, just nice! Each seat back contains a screen for watching movies, tracking flight progress, playing games, etc. The meals were nothing special but edible, better than the peanuts or crackers I received on my Delta coast-to-coast.

Here comes the good part. After about eight hours, we arrive in Papeete. It’s yesterday, November 7th, 2008! I already spent the seventh in Sydney, disembarking and touring. I spent the night in a hotel in Sydney. I spent all day today traveling. And it’s the seventh again! Tomorrow morning, I’ll wake up and have the chance to live the eighth one more time. At least this time I’ll spend it in a five-star resort rather than in an airport. Good on ‘ya, Norm!

I have no idea why this date line thing fascinates me so much. It just does! To continue, we arrive in Papeete and de-plane way out at the end of the tarmac. There are no jetways here; you come down the steps and walk a block or so to the terminal. It’s late, about 9:30 pm, plus it’s hot and muggy. We wait around the carousel for our baggage for a long time and head for the immigration officials. All two of them! They seemed a bit bored with the whole thing and it was a little slow, but we finally got through. Right outside the front door, I found my hotel transportation and was on the road in a matter of just minutes. The Intercontinental Hotel is close to the airport, plus it was dark, so I didn’t really see anything on the way. I was the first person to be dropped off and was met by the coolest bellman I’ve ever seen, covered in tattoos and wearing a lava-lava, or something like it. I went to the front desk where my reservation was all confirmed, got my room key and was directed to my room. The bags were there before I was. It had been a very long day. I walked out on the balcony and took a quick look around, then fell into bed. I could sightsee tomorrow!

Besides, I had gained another day. I had plenty of time…..

No comments:

Post a Comment